Washington Marriott at Metro Center Receives Environmentally Conscious Award for Green Practices
August 27, 2010 (PRLEAP.COM) Travel NewsWashington, D.C. – August 27, 2010– The Washington Marriott at Metro Center hotel announced today that it has received 2010 Environmental Excellence Award for "Outstanding Achievement by a Hotel." This environmentally friendly hotel is one of nine Washington, DC businesses awarded for their environmental stewardship and resource conservation.
"We are delighted to be recognized by Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and the city of Washington, DC for our efforts to reduce energy, water, waste and the way we demonstrate how responsible hotel operations can be a positive force for the environment," said Meg Bobinski, general manager, Washington Marriott at Metro Center. "Our associates are fully committed to Marriott's "Spirit to Preserve" environmental initiative for greener hotel operations and believe that it is our responsibility to provide a greener experience for our guests."
To celebrate this environmentally conscious award the Washington Marriott at Metro Center hotel will host a complimentary "Green Tea Time," in its lobby every afternoon throughout August. Washington Marriott at Marriott Center's green accomplishments include:
- This environmentally conscious hotel in Washington, DC saved 745,685 kWh in electricity in 2009 by using energy efficient lighting and an Energy Management System to control the heating/cooling and lighting of the hotel's banquet space.
- Saves about 600,000 gallons of water a year, with water-free urinals.
- Fire & Sage Restaurant installed a recycled wood flooring and linen-less dining tables.
- This green hotel in Washington, DC uses energy-efficient bulbs.
- Low-flow showerheads and toilets.
- Participates in Marriott's water/energy saving linen program..
- Keys made from 50% recycled materials.
- Participates in Marriott's newspaper program.
- 100% of this Washington, DC eco-friendly hotel's meeting space is on an Energy Management System Linen-less tables for meetings and serves filtered water in glass pitchers.
- Provides organic meeting room candy, sustainable menu and organic floral options.
- Meeting note pads made from 100% recycled materials, pens made from 75% recycled materials, recyclable box lunch program.
- Hotel uses Earthwise® recycled beverage napkins.
- This Washington, DC green hotel uses central recycling for guest participation
- Hotel's kitchens recycle used oil into bio-fuel.
- Recycles used fluorescent bulbs, glass bottles, batteries, lighting ballasts, metals, computer components & used refrigerants.
- Reuses damaged linens as cleaning rags.
Chemical Reduction/ Earth Friendly Solutions
- This eco hotel in Washington, DC has a pool that uses saline water instead of chlorine.
- Purchases from strategic eco-friendly vendors
- Uses environmentally friendly cleaning products.
Energy & Water Conservation
- Variable frequency drives installed in 50% of air handling units
- Windows are secured to reduce loss of conditioned internal air
About Marriott's Spirit to Preserve®
Marriott's Spirit To Preserve® environmental strategy calls for: greening our $10 billion supply chain; reducing energy and water consumption by 25 percent per available room by 2017; expanding portfolio of green hotels and buildings, including 300 LEED® (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design)-certified hotels, by 2015; educating and inspiring employees and guests to support the environment; and investing in innovative, large-scale conservation projects worldwide.
About Washington Marriott at Metro Center
Washington Marriott at Metro Center is an environmentally conscious hotel situated in the heart of downtown Washington, DC.. The 459 room hotel features two concierge levels, 12,451 square feet of meetings space, and 16 breakout rooms. Adjacent to the Washington Metro hub, Metro Center with the Red, Orange and Blue Lines, guests are never far from any of the city's attractions and businesses. For information or reservations about Washington Marriott at Metro Center, call 202.737.2200 or visit www.MarriottMetroCenter.com.