JW Marriott Muskoka Resort & Spa Shares Daycation Tips to Keep Your Cool, All Summer Long
July 01, 2015 (PRLEAP.COM) Travel NewsJuly 1, 2015 - School's out for summer, and Canada Day, the first official holiday of the season, is here. JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa is celebrating this double occasion by sharing a steakhouse tip from the experts at their brand-new Muskoka Chophouse restaurant, plus other easy ways to make this summer golden, even when you're not on an Ontario cottage country getaway.
6 Easy Ways to Make the Most of Summer - Before making some of these JW Marriott Muskoka team tips a part of your routine, keep in mind that the first step to having more fun is committing to take time for it. "When I make time for fun I actually become more productive. My smartphone gets stowed every once in a while (especially when boating!) and I save one day a week as a 'no work' zone. I actually make dates with myself in my calendar to make sure I don't miss the really important summer activities," says JW Marriott The Rosseau Director of Sales & Marketing Leah Leslie.
Use this list as a starting point for even more adventures, and, of course, head to the resort for a full 70-day schedule of summer fun.
1. KEEP IT SIMPLE JW Marriott Executive Chef Shaun Crymble lives by a rule of three when it comes to summer dining. Keep the menu simple and use seasonal ingredients whenever you can. Take it outside, to a deck or balcony or on an impromptu backyard or park picnic. When possible, take a few minutes to plan ahead. One of his top weekend tips, inspired by the resort's brand new steakhouse restaurant addition, the Muskoka Chophouse, is to prepare a roll of compound or flavoured butter, with fresh herbs and citrus zest. "Keep it in the fridge or freezer and use it all week long to add fast, no-fuss flavour to grilled steaks, chicken, fish, steamed veggies, pasta, even just a sandwich or some warm bread."
The Muskoka Chophouse is open nightly for dinner, reservations at 705-765-1900 or online via Open Table.
2. GRILL & CHILL For easy desserts, Chef Crymble suggests grilling fruit, like peaches and nectarines, making dessert pizza, or a sheet pan of that perennial favourite, "s'mores", all on your backyard barbecue. When it's hot, you can't go wrong with make-ahead homemade popsicles, granita or frozen lemonade.
Guests can make easy Campfire Desserts at the resort Tuesdays 5:30-6:30 pm or Thursdays 7-8 pm, for $10.
3. SEE STARS Summer is a great time to learn about the constellations according to resort Naturalist Robin Tapley. Lying outside under the stars is half the fun. And while JW Marriott Muskoka's secluded Lake Rosseau setting takes you away from city lights, you don't have to be out in the country or have a telescope. There are now plenty of GPS-equipped phone apps to help you identify those fascinating heavenly bodies. Tapley lists the free Star Chart and Night Sky Lite, Starmap for iOs, or Distant Suns as good options.
Weather permitting, guest Night Nature Walks and Astronomy run from 9-11 pm every Friday and Saturday evening at JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka.
4. STAND UP This could be your summer to try stand-up paddleboarding, more commonly known as SUP, a sport that combines elements of kayaking, canoeing and surfing and is easy to start. It provides a fresh perspective while giving you a full body workout that feels far more fun than a gym circuit. Introductory lessons, board rentals and guided excursions, as well as specialties like SUP yoga, are now widely available.
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka holds introductory SUP sessions for resort overnight guests ages 12 and up on Saturday mornings.
5. FACE THE DAY There's no denying that when summer hits the ground running, so do most of our outer layers. "People pay more attention to their skin and what they are applying to it because it shows a lot more," says Maria Micu, the resort's Spa Director. Both hydrating and purifying facials are a good idea, along with exfoliating treatments, like the Spa Rosseau's almond and orange infused Fruit & Nut Body Polish. Micu also recommends looking for soothing skincare ingredients like aloe, algae and lavender.
Spa Rosseau is Muskoka's most complete spa facility with men's treatments, salon, nail and dining options included in their extensive line-up of services.
6. FIND YOUR INNER CHILD Rediscover the simple pleasures of bike riding, board games, playing catch or Frisbee. Programming & Communications Manager Kati Strickland suggests taking an afternoon to recreate the pleasures of summer camp. Gather a group of friends and organize a few hours of crafting, games and outdoor activities. Wrap up with a marshmallow roast, ice cream sundaes or even something a bit more grown-up like a sparkling wine or craft beer tasting.
To make the most of your Muskoka adventure, the resort's full summer 2015 recreation schedule is online here.
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka's final summer loving tip? "Get out and be a traveller wherever you are, every day, on your lunch break or in your own neighbourhood. Go explore and try something new."
About JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka is a luxury conference resort two hours north of Toronto, in Ontario's scenic "cottage country". Recipient of the prestigious Wine Spectator Award of Excellence and Condé Nast Traveler Gold List, the resort is set atop a bluff overlooking pristine Lake Rosseau. Visitors enjoy inspirational views, intuitive service and the opportunity to explore nature on their terms. For getaway offers and reservations www.jwrosseau.ca or 1-705-765-1900.
About JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. These elegant hotels cater to today's sophisticated, self-assured travelers, offering them the quiet luxury they seek in a warmly authentic, relaxed atmosphere lacking in pretense. JW Marriott properties artfully provide highly crafted, anticipatory experiences that are reflective of their locale so that their guests have the time to focus on what is most important to them. Currently, there are 64 JW Marriott hotels in 26 countries; by 2016 the portfolio is expected to encompass more than 92 properties over 36 countries. Visit us online, jwmarriott.com, @jwmarriott and facebook.com/JWMarriott.
Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) is a leading lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 3,800 properties in 72 countries and territories and reported revenues of nearly $12 billion in fiscal year 2014.
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa