What to Do After a Car Accident: A 5 Step Guide by The Barnes Firm
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, nearly 500,000 car accidents occur in California each year. More than half of these accidents produced injuries.
Most people don't plan on having an accident, so they aren't familiar with the steps to take when an accident happens.
The Barnes Firm wants drivers to remember five essential steps to take when involved in a California car accident.
1. Get Immediate Medical Attention: Your health and safety are top priority. This means calling 911 if anyone is injured. Some car accident injuries, such as whiplash, can take days for symptoms to appear. If you are experiencing even the slightest pain, see a doctor for a medical evaluation. The medical report may be a vital piece of information in your car accident case.
NOTE: If you can move your vehicle to the side of the road, do so. You are more likely to be in a second accident if you leave your car in the road. California law requires you to get your vehicle out of the way of traffic. If you cannot safely move your vehicle, activate your hazard lights and fasten your seatbelt until first responders arrive.
2. Contact Police: Once you've called 911, call the police. Remember to get the names of the officers and their badge numbers so you can obtain a copy of your accident report.
3. Take Pictures: Take pictures of skid marks on the road, damaged fenders, broken glass, or any other visible signs that an accident has occurred. Additionally, take pictures of any injuries. Injuries can heal, so recording evidence of injuries at the time of the accident can be useful when developing a legal case.
4. Take Notes and Gather Information: Swap contact information with the other driver, including insurance information. Make sure to get contact information from any witnesses who were nearby as well.
5. Call an Experienced Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer at The Barnes Firm: Seek legal advice from expert attorneys who know California state law and how to help victims recover damages. The Barnes Firm car accident attorneys can answer questions you might have regarding legal decisions.
The attorneys at the Barnes Firm help injured drivers and passengers involved in California car accidents. To date, they've assisted thousands of car accident victims in navigating the complex legal system and recovering the compensation they deserve.
For more information or to schedule a free consultation about getting compensation after a car accident injury, call (800) 800-0000 to discuss your legal options with a California attorney at the Barnes Firm.
About The Barnes Firm
The Barnes Firm's experienced personal injury attorneys focus exclusively on accident cases. They have helped thousands of injured victims around the country get the best results possible with their settlements and verdicts.
The firm helps families across California, and has offices located in Los Angeles, San Diego, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
In addition to legal services, The Barnes Firm stays involved in the community. The California car accident lawyers hosted a Jingle Contest in which contestants from all over California showcased their talent and creativity for the $10,000 grand prize. Watch the winning jingle and all top submissions at www.TheBarnesFirmJingle.com.
For more information about The Barnes Firm visit http://www.TheBarnesFirm.com/.
You can also find The Barnes Firm on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In.