Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery Center Unveils Novel Program to Create Minimal-Pain Plastic Surgery
June 12, 2007 (PRLEAP.COM) Health NewsA world-renowned plastic surgery center in Beverly Hills has developed a unique program that works to minimize patient discomfort following plastic surgery procedures. Plastic surgery is elective. It is about making people feel happy and better about themselves. One issue that comes up with plastic surgery is patient discomfort. People may ask, "What price beauty?" as they consider the pain following surgical procedures. At one plastic surgery center, the price of beauty has just been reduced.
Dr. Lloyd Krieger, cosmetic surgeon and medical director of world-famous Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery in Beverly Hills, California has implemented a specialized program to minimize pain following cosmetic surgery procedures.
"Prior to undergoing plastic surgery, many of our patients express concern about how much pain they will have during recovery. To answer these questions and minimize anxiety, we have taken steps that work to minimize post-procedure pain. We call our system Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery Rapid Recovery," explains Dr. Krieger.
Dr. Krieger notes that do date, the program has been quite successful. "While it is difficult to make any surgery completely pain free, we have succeeded in making our procedures very low pain. This allows patients to be comfortable from the moment the procedure is completed and our nurses take care of them in the recovery room, to when they continue their recuperation at home. Our goal is to make post-procedure pain something akin to the soreness that accompanies a very strenuous workout at the gym even when someone has a larger procedure such as Los Angeles liposuction," says Dr. Krieger.
Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery is a magnet for VIP and celebrity patients from out of town and around the world. These dignitaries also benefit from the unique program. "Many of our patients travel from out of town, so Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery Rapid Recovery helps them remain comfortable in the unfamiliar environment of a hotel, in the car for a sometimes long drive, or on the plane flight home some days later," continues Dr. Krieger.
The program involves the plastic surgery center's surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, and patients all working together to minimize pain. Each of these individuals has a key role in working to minimize post-procedure pain.
Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery Rapid Recovery begins well before surgery day. This first part of the program takes the form of educating patients about the program and the steps to minimize pain. Once concerns are alleviated, patients continue the process toward surgery with greatly reduced anxiety. The program continues during all aspects of surgery through recuperation at home. It has proven especially useful in larger procedures such as Beverly Hills tummy tuck and Beverly Hills breast augmentation.
Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery Rapid Recovery consists of these steps:
- Educating patients prior to surgery
- Providing patients prescriptions for pain relievers and anti-nausea medicines for their recuperation prior to the day of surgery, so they have their medicines on-hand
- Using a physician anesthesiologist during each plastic surgery procedure, to ensure patient safety and to administer pain and anti-nausea medications during the surgery
- Doing all our procedures in a AAAHC and Medicare certified surgery center, to assure the highest standards in our patient care, safety, medications, sterility, lighting, and equipment
- Using extra-gentle tissue handling techniques during procedures, to minimize trauma and resulting pain
- Applying long-acting local anesthetics to surgical sites during the surgery itself, so pain centers are not stimulated during early recuperation
- Communicating with patients when they first wake up from their surgery using a specially developed nurse-patient interactive pain picture chart, and giving pain medicine as soon as patients report discomfort - before the onset of any true pain
- Maintaining close contact with patients during their recovery in the days following plastic surgery, to make certain any discomfort is controlled - and altering medicines if necessary.
Dr. Krieger concludes: "Patient response to Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery Rapid Recovery has been excellent. It has helped both our local Los Angeles plastic surgery patients as well as our visiting patients from around the world. People should keep in mind that even though they may have very little pain following surgery they must still limit their physical activities so their recovery can proceed without complication. Just because you are comfortable does not mean it is safe to over-do things." <br />
For more information visit http://www.RodeoDrivePlasticSurgery.com or http://drlloydkrieger.com/