10 Best Exercise DVDs of 2007 Named by YourExerciseDVDs.com
January 05, 2008 (PRLEAP.COM) Health NewsJanuary 5, 2007 - The popular exercise DVD review website, YourExerciseDVDs.com, chooses 10 of the best workout DVDs from 2007, and explains what made them stand out from the rest. "2007 was a banner year for exercise DVDs," says Janiss Garza, editor-in-chief of YourExerciseDVDs.com. "Home workouts are getting easier to do, and more effective."
Certain trends responsible for this, Ms. Garza explains. "Exercise DVDs are being designed to fit into anyone's schedule. I saw a lot of programmable workouts, with routines lasting anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour." In addition, many DVDs require little or no equipment. Some just use an exercise band, which comes with the DVD. "Those were a mixed bag," Ms. Garza cautions. "Bands aren't like weights, and the instructor needs to understand that."
To help those who have resolved to get fit in 2008, YourExerciseDVDs.com named 10 of 2007's best exercise DVDs. Most are appropriate for new exercisers. In no particular order, they are:
* Women's Health: Total Workout in Ten! - It includes four 10-minute toning workouts, plus a 12-minute "bonus" core routine featuring an excellent coach-style instructor, Amy Dixon.
* Jeanette Jenkins: The Hollywood Trainer 21-Day Total Body Circuit Workout - Ms. Jenkins was also a favorite of Ms. Garza, who noted her friendly approach in these two strength-training workouts.
* Shape Bikini Body Camp: Transforming Workout - Three veteran instructors, Michelle Dozois, Lisa Wheeler and Tracy York, have fun with a trio of high-energy 30-minute workouts: Cardio, sculpting and a combination of both.
* Michelle Dozois: Your Best Body Circuit - The only instructor to have two DVDs on the list, Dozois earns this honor with her new "Best Body" series. This circuit-training routine already has proven results, as Dozois tested it with her own clients (some of whom participated in the DVD).
* 10 Minute Solution: Slim & Sculpt Pilates - This group of five 10-minute, mix-and-match Pilates workouts use an exercise band to add an extra challenge to the moves - lots of toning, minimal equipment.
* 10 Minute Solution: Tone Trouble Zones - Instructor Amy Bento has one of the best exercise band workouts for 2007, says Ms. Garza. Bento creates workouts that you couldn't get with traditional dumbbells, targeting areas women want most to tone - the butt, abs and arms.
* Shape Pilates Workout: Makeover Your Abs, Butt and Thighs Fast! - Like Bento, Lizbeth Garcia understands how to use exercise bands to make effective, and tough, workouts. This lower-body routine is Pilates-based and builds muscle without bulk.
* Dance Off the Inches: Hip Hop Party - Because it has an excellent 20-minute instructional section, this cardio dance DVD can offer some flashy steps that aren't too difficult for many beginners. It's a fun, funky workout from another veteran pro, Jennifer Galardi.
* Dance with Lisa: Red Hot Salsa Made Simple II - Many Latin dance routines aren't intense enough to burn many calories. But this hour-long routine from Lisa Nunziella keeps you moving and sweating, thanks to a separate instructional segment that breaks down the harder moves.
* Jennifer Kries: Hot Body Cool Mind - Waking Energy - Kries created the mind-body workout DVD of the year with the second of her "Hot Body Cool Mind" series. With more than two and a half hours of mix-and-match workouts that include Qi Gong, Yoga and Pilates, this DVD fills many fitness needs, from energizing to toning to flexibility.
For more information on these, and other exercise dvds, please visit http://www.yourexercisedvds.com. Janiss Garza is available for interviews.