Fraunces Tavern® Museum to Display 1215 Magna Carta — New Exhibit Announced at Fraunces Tavern Museum —

April 28, 2009 (PRLEAP.COM) Education News
New York, NY (April 2, 2009) - The Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York today announced that one of the four original copies of the 1215 Magna Carta, called the "birth certificate of human liberty," will be displayed for three months at historic Fraunces Tavern® Museum in New York City as part of the exhibit Magna Carta and the Foundations of Freedom.

The exhibit will feature additional historic documents of liberty: Broadsides of the U. S Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Flushing Remonstrance.

Magna Carta and the Foundations of Freedom will open on September 15 and remain on exhibit through December 15th, 2009.

Written in 1215, Magna Carta was forced upon King John of England by his barons and noblemen in order to limit the power of the monarch for the first time in history. Latin for "Great Charter," the Magna Carta set lasting precedents such as trial by jury, representative government, and freedom of the church. It also addressed rights of women and Jewish money lenders. The Magna Carta that will be on display in New York City is owned by Lincoln Cathedral, in Lincolnshire, England.

COL Charles C. Lucas, M.D., President of the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York, a not-for-profit corporation which owns Fraunces Tavern® Museum, stated "We are proud to welcome this historic document to New York City. Magna Carta is the bedrock of modern constitutional law and the basis for much of America's freedom and liberty. We thank Lincoln Cathedral for making this treasure available."

The exhibit will enable school children in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut schools systems to learn more about the foundations of our democracy, especially the U.S. Bill of Rights, the U. S. Declaration of Independence, and U. S. Constitution.

The Very Reverend Philip Buckler, Dean of Lincoln Cathedral, stated "Our Church has had possession of this world treasure since June 28, 1215. The Lincoln Charter was exhibited briefly in New York at the World's Fair in 1939, after which it remained safely stored at Fort Knox during World War II. It returned to Lincoln in 1947, visited America for the 1976 Bicentennial and once again during the 1980's. We are happy to share this treasure with the people of New York."

Fraunces Tavern was built in 1719 as an elegant residence and purchased in 1762 by tavern-keeper Samuel Fraunces. The tavern played a significant role in pre-Revolutionary War activities, and later housed early U.S. government offices of the Departments of War, Treasury and Foreign Affairs (today's State Department). It is best known as the site where General George Washington bade farewell to the officers of the Continental Army on December 4th, 1783.

In 1904, the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York purchased the tavern and had it restored to its colonial appearance. Fraunces Tavern Museum opened to the public in 1907. By exploring this country's early beginnings, the Museum emphasizes patriotic ideals of equality which in turn became the cornerstone for our representative government of today. Thousands of students from throughout the metropolitan area visit the museum annually where they participate in hands-on activities and compelling discussions about heroism as well as their rights and responsibilities as United States citizens. The historic complex includes four 19th century buildings in addition to the 18th century Fraunces Tavern building.

** RELEASE REVISED 8/7/09 **