The ABIM Foundation releases the new video series "Renewing Professionalism: A Challenge to the Health Care Community"
March 31, 2010 (PRLEAP.COM) Health NewsIn a new video vignette series, "Renewing Professionalism: A Challenge to the Health Care Community," a group of nationally known physician leaders, educators, payers, policy opinion leaders, and patient advocates offer their diverse perspectives on a range of issues tied to medical professionalism. The 4- to 5-minute vignettes focus on topics such as addressing conflicts of interest, managing limited health care resources, integrating professional values and behaviors into medical training, and improving patient-physician interactions. Among the 17 interviewees featured in the vignettes are Glenn Hackbarth, Chairman of MedPAC; Darrell Kirch, President and CEO of the American Association of Medical Colleges; Helen Darling, President of the National Business Group on Health and James Guest, President and CEO of Consumers Union. View a full list of interviewees.
"We are extremely impressed with the strength of the insights presented in the video vignettes," says Christine K. Cassel, President and CEO of the American Board of Internal Medicine and the ABIM Foundation. "The interviewees offer a rich and thoughtful set of perspectives on how the values of professionalism inform their daily work and shape their perceptions of and interactions with the health care system overall."
The series seeks to address the impact of professional values and behaviors on a physician's commitment to patients and the community. The series is divided into five categories:
- "Why Does Professionalism Matter?" – offers varying perspectives on medical professionalism from leaders in the health care community
- "Resetting the Social Contract" – emphasizes the physician's role in society
- "Improving Systems to Deliver High Quality Care" – examines the pros and cons of current health care systems
- "Practicing Wise Stewardship of Health Care Resources" – addresses the role of the physician in containing costs
- "Cultivating Professionalism in Training" - presents different ways to impart professionalism on to the next generation of physicians
View the videos on the ABIM Foundation website.