Double win for Sark Island Hotels at the Considerate Hotel of the Year Awards

June 02, 2012 (PRLEAP.COM) Travel News
HOTEL PETIT CHAMP on the tiny car-free island of Sark has won "Considerate Small Accommodation Provider" at the Considerate Hotel of the Year Awards.

Sark Estate Management's Market Garden, which supplies four hotels in the Sark Island Hotels group including Hotel Petit Champ has also won Considerate Local Supplier of the Year.

In awarding two of the most important eco-accolades of the hospitality industry, the Considerate Hotelier Association said Hotel Petit Champ was "most inspirational in terms of its green journey, without all the trappings and resources of big business".

And in recognising the creation of kitchen gardens, which now supply four hotels with the majority of their fresh seasonal produce, judges said Sark Island Hotels had made the most "significant achievements".

Up to 90% of the produce from the gardens finds its way to the kitchens of Sark Island Hotels' restaurants, the remaining 10% being eagerly received by other independent restaurants across the island.

Considerate Hoteliers was one of the world's first hotel associations to campaign for "responsible hoteliers" to put care for the environment and social responsibility at the top of their agendas. Since establishing in 1991, the CHA has promoted "sound business practices and common sense to bring about change for the good".

Dawn Manger, group hotel manager of Sark Island Hotels, and sustainability manager Hendrik Lessing have implemented over 80 different initiatives within the hotel group since 2011. Significant waste management, up-cycling and bio-diesel production have also been at the forefront of Lessing's remit.

"As a business we looked into every part of our day-to-day operations and found areas where we could improve," said Manger.

"Our policy of sourcing on-island has benefited our gardeners, local fishermen, farmers and other businesses who understand our objectives and have responded positively to the growing market and demand. We are promoting the unique taste of Sark and the beauty of this is that our food has travelled only metres from the market gardens to reach the diner's plate."

Chefs at the award-winning Hotel Petit Champ a 10-bedroom hotel which also holds 2 AA Rosettes for his food and customer service regularly visit the kitchen gardens and consult with local suppliers around the island.

Hendrik Lessing was shortlisted at the Footprint Awards in May alongside chef Raymond Blanc for their work championing eco-initiatives. "When it comes to waste management we always try to reduce, reuse and recycle," said Lessing. "Sark Island Hotels is developing the facilities to process cardboard into briquettes which will be used as an eco-fuel for the island, turn vegetable oil into bio-diesel for our tractor and bottle our own fresh water."

Sark Island Hotels is moving on with further initiatives on its "green journey" and eco-tourists will soon be invited to book their Eco Tours around Sark with Sark Island Hotels.

Manger added: "Sark is a stunningly beautiful island that is unspoilt and almost untouched by progress. With no cars, the island is quiet and safe and the perfect place to take a break from the pressures of modern living.

"Sark has a tradition of living from what is caught, grown and reared here. With the lush green pastures, agriculture that's untouched by urban pollution, and surrounded by a sea abundant with life, the restaurants of Sark Island Hotels continue on that tradition, serving the freshest, seasonal produce with creativity and finesse."

www.sarkislandhotels.com

Notes to editors
Sark Island Hotels is a group of four unique hotels. The Aval du Creux Hotel, La Moinerie Hotel, Hotel Petit Champ and Dixcart Bay Hotel offer luxury accommodation that's perfect for those visiting Sark on family holidays, romantic escapes and business trips.

  • The island of Sark is less than three hours from Central London.
  • Flights to Guernsey leave from most major UK airports, followed by a 45-minute ferry ride from Guernsey to Sark
  • The Isle of Sark Shipping Company provides year-round ferry services to Sark
  • Water sports, horse-drawn tours, woodland walks, nature trails, cycling, boat trips, vineyard tours and delightful places to eat are among the many things to see and do while on Sark.


  • Media enquiries:
    For further information or high resolution images please contact Bernadette Costello