Electrocution Victim Receives $5 Million Settlement
March 10, 2017 (PRLEAP.COM) Business NewsMarch 10, 2017 - ROCHESTER, N.Y. – One of the victims of a horrific electrocution accident that happened at a construction site in Ontario County will receive a $5 million settlement nearly two years after the incident. The victim, represented by Cellino & Barnes, was working on a flatbed truck carrying a steel I-beam when a boom, which was affixed to the truck, came into contact with high-power cables above, causing the truck to energize.
This accident carried more than 7,000 volts of electricity through the victim's body – more than three times the voltage of the electric chair. As a result, the victim suffered major burns to his hand, scalp and back.
Senior trial attorneys John Wright and Steve Barnes, of Cellino & Barnes, were contacted by the victim's family shortly after the accident, and they prepared this case for trial until the defendants ultimately made a fair settlement offer last week, during jury selection, in the amount of $5 million.
Although this victim and his family may never be able to fully recover their quality of life, Barnes said this settlement will allow him to afford the medical care and treatments he will need for the remainder of his lifetime.
"It's heartbreaking when accidents like this happen, and it can be devastating to an entire family," Barnes said.
At the time of the accident, workers were using the boom crane to lift steel off the truck in order to deliver the I-beam to a construction site in Canandaigua. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) determined that provisions were not in place prior to the accident, and officials issued citations and penalties to the victim's employer.
"This incident reemphasizes the need for safe work site practices across the nation," Wright said. "When safety procedures are in place, it ensures that other workers will be able to return home to their families every evening without harm."
For further information, contact the Law Offices of Cellino & Barnes, 800-888-8888.
Background on Cellino & Barnes:
Cellino & Barnes is a personal injury firm that focuses exclusively on accident cases. They have helped thousands of injured victims from all fifty states recover more than $2 billion in settlements and verdicts.
The firm has nine office locations in the U.S. including offices in Rochester, Buffalo, New York City, Long Island, Los Angeles, San Diego, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
For more information about Cellino & Barnes visit our website at