Tropical Escapes and Karma Yoga Journeys Work Together to Promote Eco-Friendly Vacationing, Yoga and Good Karma
October 16, 2007 (PRLEAP.COM) Travel NewsCambridge, MA, October 16, 2007: Karma Yoga Journeys, a Massachusetts-based company that combines yoga with volunteer travel, has announced a partnership with Tropical Escapes Ltd., a Caribbean-based company that specializes in coordinating yoga retreats, adventure travel and socially conscious vacations. Together, they will offer a unique travel opportunity to Dominica, known as “The Nature Island of the Caribbean.”
This 14-day program, from January 5 to 19, will unite eco-tourism, humanitarian work and yoga practice with service to a struggling Dominican community. Participants will spend two weeks exploring all that this island has to offer while working in the local community and with the indigenous Carib population on a variety of projects, including establishing an organic educational garden, developing eco-tourist trails to local waterfalls and sites of interest and being engaged in community tourism.
Dominica’s economy has been dominated by agriculture, fishing, and forestry. About 40% of the population is employed in agriculture, mostly in the banana industry. However, banana exports have been declining steadily since the mid 1990s, and this August Hurricane Dean destroyed 99% of the country’s banana crop. Working with poor villages to develop tourism and agriculture will aid the Dominican community immensely while offering tourists a chance to make their vacations matter.
Tropical Escapes and Karma Yoga Journeys Make Vacationing More Rewarding
In Dominica, participants will:
• Receive full room and board at the 3 Rivers Eco Lodge: a small, award-winning, Green Globe-certified accommodation situated in a lush green valley and surrounded by tropical forests. 3 Rivers works closely with locals to create an ambience that merges culture with natural wonder.
• Learn eco-friendly farming methods and work with village residents to create an organic community garden and to educate youth, their families and the larger community about organic farming techniques. Traditional Dominican organic farming practices including planting by the phases of the moon and preventing pests via combination planting, herbal and all natural defenses and composting.
• Reach out to local children by working on literacy projects and teaching them yoga.
• Become familiar with Dominican culture while aiding in the development of community tourism through home stays and a visit to the Carib Indian (Kalinago) reservation.
• Enjoy the unique and beautiful nature of the island. Activities include guided tours to rivers, waterfalls, beaches, natural hot springs and the rainforest, as well as assisting with eco-tourist trail development.
• Receive extensive staff support, daily yoga classes, as well as time for relaxation and reflection.
About Karma Yoga Journeys:
Karma Yoga Journeys is the country’s leading yoga retreat and volunteer vacations group. Karma Yoga Journeys are life changing adventures featuring volunteering, excursions and yoga. They combine a zeal for bringing help to those in need with a passion for connecting mind and body. Other journeys in 2008 include the Sacred Valley of Peru on May 17 and Bolivia beginning September 7, 2008. See www.KarmaYogaJourneys.com for more information.
About Tropical Escapes:
Tropical Escapes offers full-service retreat and vacation planning assistance to the Caribbean Islands of St. Lucia and Dominica. They specialize in partnering with yoga instructors and studios to provide their clients with the opportunity to join them on Caribbean retreats. Tropical Escapes offer the convenience of customized all-inclusive packages while supporting socially conscious, sustainable tourism. For information on upcoming Tropical Escapes, visit http://www.tropicalescapes.biz/retreats.html. Registration is open to all.
Note: Quality high-resolution photos are available upon request to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.